Updated: Sep 1, 2020
Diamond, an amazing gemstone, has remained one of the most fascinating and popular precious stones of all time over the years. There are so many interesting facts about these dazzling gemstones, and we collect 10 of them that most people don't know.
* 80% of diamonds are used for industrial purposes and are not suitable for jewelry.
* First diamond was discovered in India.
* A diamond can only be scratched by another diamond.
* Diamonds can be burned. It must be heated to 1292 degrees Fahrenheit (700 degrees Celsius).
* The largest rough diamond was discovered in1905, weighing at 3,106.75 carat.
* Diamonds are the birthstone for the month of April.
* According to the British Jewellers’ Association, the oldest diamond is approximately 3.2 billion years old. The youngest diamond is over 900 million years old.
* Top 3 diamond producing countries are; Russia, Botswana and Canada.
* The Argyle Diamond Mine in Australia produces over 90% of colored diamonds but it’s scheduled to close in 2020.
* There is a place in Arkansas where you can dig your own diamonds. If you are feeling lucky, you can go to the Crater of Diamonds State Park and try your hand at digging for a diamond.
Follow us on Instagram.